Tuesday, August 24, 2021

What is takes to be an IJ girl

     I started my primary school in 2020 as I enrolled in Primary 1 at CHIJ (Katong) Primary. In these last two years, I was exposed to CHIJ values and visions.

I experience and learn as I observe my school teachers and my school seniors living by the values and virtues of the school. I align myself to the school mission and vision so that I can be an accomplished IJ girl.

We have been inspired and motivated to inculcate the values below:

To be simple in virtue and steadfast in duty:

Our school encourages us to live simply and to value high morals in character building. Our teachers guide and encourage us to show responsibility as students. We are to pay attention in class and complete our work to hand in punctually.

Teamwork

When working in groups, we are taught to bond with our classmates and learn from one another. Unity is strength. If there is good teamwork, we can then produce better work. Different school activities are encouraged to be done in teams, so this helps us to connect and grow together.

Honesty and Truthfulness

Our ethics class helps us to see the value of living honestly and standing by the truth. We are encouraged to fight our fear and to acknowledge our mistakes. We learn to appreciate the value of honesty and truthfulness.

Equality and Just fulness

Our school has students coming from different quarters of life with different strengths and weaknesses. My classmates all have different backgrounds. We value each and everyone and opportunities are provided equally to all. We are taught to overcome any kind of biasedness.

Freedom from self-interest

Our teachers remind us and guide us to break free from self-indulging action and thoughts. We are taught to empathise with our fellow classmates. Working together and sharing work with each other make us more caring and accepting towards all.

Loving and Caring

As an IJ girl, we grow to become responsible adults. We are reminded to be kind and loving. At school in our class, our teachers encourage us to take part in different activities which make us understand the value of being loving and caring towards one another.

These values are the basis of our learning at CHIJ. As we grow up appreciating these values, we imbibe them slowly and transform into a complete IJ girl.

Written by Mabel Chatterjee

BU2/2021

 

Title: What it means to be an IJ girl?

 

I feel happy and proud to be an IJ girl. I am taught to be hardworking and do my best in class and at home. I will treat my friends with honesty and sincerity. I always try to understand how others feel and respect them for who they are. I wish that we, IJ  girls, could make the world a better place to live in. Besides that, we should live up to our school virtues of self-discipline, integrity, compassion and respect, wherever we are.

 

By HAILEY YAP

CLASS: BU2